Offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in the areas of athletic training, health studies and physical education.
The department offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in the areas of athletic training, health studies and physical education.
At the undergraduate level the department offers a major in physical education which leads to a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree, and majors in Athletic Training, and Health Studies which lead to a Bachelor of Science degree. Minors in coaching, health promotion, recreation exercise physiology, dance and health resources management are also offered.
Graduate study offered by the department includes a program in the area of health promotion, which leads to a Master of Education in Health Promotion; a program in the area of physical education, which leads to a Master of Science in Physical Education; and a program in the area of athletic training which leads to an entry level Master of Science in Athletic Training.
Post baccalaureate programs for initial teacher licensure in physical education and health education are available and are described under the department’s graduate programs.
The Department promotes the acquisition of and application of knowledge for diverse populations in human movement (sport, fitness/exercise, dance), teaching physical education, health education/promotion, recreation, coaching, and athletic training; and
The Department prepares athletic trainers, educators in
health, physical education, and adapted physical education, coaches, and fitness
and recreation leaders who can provide qualified leadership in their respective
fields and enhance quality of life by encouraging commitment to healthy
1. Provide a quality physical education program, supported by a foundation in the liberal arts, with seven concentrations providing advanced professional preparation.
2. Provide quality physical education activity courses to assist students in developing lifetime activity patterns and to assist in professional preparation.
3. Provide a quality health studies major program, including two concentrations, with courses that will prepare students to promote, maintain, and improve individual and community health.
4. Provide a quality athletic training major with courses that will prepare students to make successful contributions to the athletic training profession.
5. Support an atmosphere of health and well being for all students.
Last Modified: November 4, 2011
Movement Arts, Health Promotion & Leisure Studies Department
Bridgewater State University
Tinsley Center, Rm 232
325 Plymouth St.
Bridgewater, MA 02325
Our Faculty & Staff