The Clement C. Maxwell Library is the main undergraduate and graduate library for the university. The library is an automated facility with numerous electronic databases, over 250,000 book volumes, and subscriptions to over 1,500 periodicals and newspapers.
The library is named for Dr. Clement C. Maxwell, president from 1952 to 1962, who believed that a library "is the heart of the college."
In addition to classrooms and seminar rooms, the library has a small auditorium, a media center and many individual study areas.
An outstanding feature of the Maxwell Library is its constantly changing exhibits, reflecting many areas of contemporary and historical interest. Periodic lectures, musical programs and art exhibits are scheduled in the Library Heritage Room.
The Special Collections Department maintains collections on Lincoln, Dickens, early children's books, and former textbooks used at Bridgewater State University.
The library also houses the Academic Achievement Center, the Honors Center, and the College of Graduate Studies.